|Weingarten Rights - this card may save your job!|
- Rule 1: The employee must make a clear request for union representation before or during the interview. The employee cannot be punished for making this request.
- Rule 2: After the employee makes the request, the employer must choose from one of these three options:
- grant the request and delay questioning until the union representative arrives and (prior to the interview continuing) the representative has a chance to consult privately with the employee;
- deny the request and end the interview immediately; or
- give the employee a clear choice between having the interview without representation, or ending the interview.
- Rule 3: If the employer denies the request for union representation, and continues to ask questions, it commits an unfair labor practice and the employee has a right to refuse to answer. The employer may not discipline the employee for refusing to answer questions in this instance.